Lost Share Certificate Indemnity

Providing help if you require a replacement certificate.

Case Studies FAQs Get a quote

What happens if you lose a Share/Stock Certificate

If a Share/Stock Certificate is lost or missing, the body which issued the document (i.e. the Registrar) will issue a duplicate, but they will require that the beneficial owner of the shares/stocks signs a Letter of Indemnity which indemnifies the Registrar for any losses they may sustain as a result of the duplicate certificate being provided.

As the Registrar will know little or nothing about the financial standing of the owner, they will often require that an Insurance Company or Bank 'join in' the Indemnity, whereby the Bank or Insurance Company guarantee the obligations undertaken by the person applying for the duplicate.

What a Lost Share/Stock Certificate Indemnity will do

We have access to Insurers who will countersign the indemnity as a Guarantor, which will enable the Registrar to issue a duplicate Certificate.  

This is not Insurance and, in the event of any losses arising in the future, you will be responsible to the extent of the indemnity given. 

Our FAQ section will answer some commonly asked questions.
Request a quote

Please note: We are only able to provide assistance if your shares are worth over £40,000


The loss or misplacement of the stock/share certificate should be reported to the Registrar so that they can put a stop on any share dealings.  The Registrar will usually provide you with an indemnity form (for a small charge), which they will require to be countersigned by an Insurer.

As long as the shares/stocks are quoted on the UK stock exchange. However, if this is not the case, please give us a call as in certain circumstances we may still be able to help.

Not necessarily, we have been able to assist foreign nationals and companies too.

Insurers will require completion of a proposal form, with details of the name and address of the shareholder, the value of the holding and the circumstances of the loss. 

Photographic proof of identity (in the form of driving licence or passport) and proof of residency will also be needed, as well as a copy of the last dividend statement, if any.  For larger shareholdings, a reference from a solicitor or other professional may be needed.

In the case of an Estate, Insurers will require a copy of the Grant of Probate and identification and residency proofs from the Executors. 

For a Company, Insurers will require proof that the signatories to the indemnity have the appropriate authority.

Charges differ depending on the value of the missing certificates and the complexity of the situation. 

For a simple indemnity, premiums start at £250 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

Usually 10-14 days, however, Insurers may require additional information or to contact the Registrar for confirmation, so a complex case may take longer.

We recommend that you post any documents to us by recorded delivery and we will ensure that all documents sent to Insurers and then passed back to you are sent in a similar manner. 

The only original documents that are required are the signed proposal and indemnity forms, photocopies are acceptable for proofs of identity, etc.

News & opinion